Thursday, October 8, 2009

Our Lady of the Rosary ... 2009

Today we celebrated Our Lady of the Rosary in a very small way.

As of late we have had a few problems with the fire bricks in our stove and today proved to be another day we could not cook. There fore my idea of making a Cupcake Rosary was totally squashed. As I had planned to do this since last year I was trying to work out a way of doing this.

This is what we came up with ~ The Biscuit Rosary
We used Arnotts Royals (a very special biscuit only bought on sale in our home) for the Hail Mary's and Tic Toc's for the Our Fathers. The Cross was a Kit-Kat broken into pieces


AS we had no stove or oven facilities we had BBQ hamburgers for dinner. Nothing at all to do with the feast day.
We also didn't colour Charlotte's wonderful Our Lady of the Rosary picture as our Photocopier/printer is on the blink.


We are seriously trying to get back into the nightly habit of praying the Rosary EVERY night. We used to do this for such a long time and then we got distracted from it and of course it is SO much harder to create a habit than to break one.
However her is some very good information of the Rosary and the prayers as well

As I haven't had a lot of time to research all I wanted to do, here is some information and ideas from Catholic Culture

Our Lady of the Rosary
This feast was instituted by Pope St. Pius V in thanksgiving for the great naval victory over the Turks at the battle of Lepanto on this day in the year 1570, a favor due to the recitation of the Rosary. This victory saved Europe from being overrun by the forces of Islam.

Lepanto, perhaps the most complete victory ever gained over the Ottoman Empire, on October 7, 1571, is commemorated by the invocation "Help of Christians," inserted in the Litany of Loretto. At Belgrade the Turks were defeated on the Feast of Our Lady ad Nives in 1716. A second victory gained that year on the Octave of the Assumption determined Pope Clement XI to command the Feast of the Rosary to be celebrated by the universal Church. Leo XIII added the invocation "Queen of the most Holy Rosary, pray for us," to the Litany of Loretto. The Feast is in reality a great festival of thanksgiving for the signal and countless benefits bestowed on Christendom through the Rosary of our blessed Queen.

In modern times successive popes have urged the faithful to pray the Rosary. It is a form of contemplative prayer, mental and vocal prayer, which brings down God’s blessing on the Church. It is a biblically inspired prayer which is centered on meditation on the salvific mysteries of Christ in union with Mary, who was so closely associated with her Son in his redeeming activity.

Things to Do:
  • Pray the Rosary, or 5 decades of the Rosary tonight with your family. Continue this practice through October, the month that is especially dedicated to the Rosary.
  • Read the encyclicals on the rosary, and the latest apostolic letter.
  • Learn the Luminous Mysteries. For families with younger children, it helps to have visual aids for the mysteries. Have a picture to flip at the beginning of each decade for the family Rosary. See the Activities Bar for ideas.
  • Learn how to make rosaries, cord and/or wire for missions.
  • Learn about the great victory of Our Lady at the Battle of Lepanto. You can also read more about Pope St. Pius V, who instituted the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary.
  • Read Cardinal Angelo Sodano's homily at the Shrine of Our Lady of the Rosary.
  • "The Rosary, or Psalter of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is one of the most excellent prayers to the Mother of God." Read the Directory on Popular Piety and Liturgy on the Rosary, particularly encouraging the practices of:
    1. [T]he recitation of the Rosary could be made more solemn in tone "by introducing those Scriptural passages corresponding with the various mysteries, some parts could be sung, roles could be distributed, and by solemnly opening and closing of prayer."

    2. The custom of making an insertion in the recitation of the Hail Mary, which is an ancient one that has not completely disappeared, has often been recommended by the Pastors of the Church since it encourages meditation and the concurrence of mind and lips.

    Insertions of this nature would appear particularly suitable for the repetitive and meditative character of the Rosary. It takes the form of a relative clause following the name of Jesus and refers to the mystery being contemplated. The meditation of the Rosary can be helped by the choice of a short clause of a Scriptural and Liturgical nature, fixed for every decade.

  • Foods for this feast: Since the origin of this feast came from the Christian fleet defeating the Turks at the Battle of Lepanto in 1570 through the intercession of Mary through the Rosary, why not make a cake in the shape of a ship? See the top bar for a cut-out cake, or make moderations to this Ship Cake. Read more about the Battle of Lepanto for ideas.
  • St. Pius V was a very holy Dominican, who wore his scratchy habit underneath his papal robes, and walked around Rome barefoot. He ate just to sustain himself, and fasted frequently. We should use his example and remember to fast and pray the Rosary for the conversion of Islam.


Our Lady Of The Holy Rosary Novena Prayer (To be said along with a daily Rosary)

My dearest Mother Mary, behold me, your child, in prayer at your feet. Accept this Holy Rosary, which I offer you in accordance with your requests at Fatima, as a proof of my tender love for you, for the intentions of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in atonement for the offenses committed against your Immaculate Heart, and for this special favor which I earnestly request in my Rosary Novena: (Mention your request).

I beg you to present my petition to your Divine Son. If you will pray for me, I cannot be refused. I know, dearest Mother, that you want me to seek God’s holy Will concerning my request. If what I ask for should not be granted, pray that I may receive that which will be of greater benefit to my soul.

I offer you this spiritual “Bouquet of Roses” because I love you. I put all my confidence in you, since your prayers before God are most powerful. For the greater glory of God and for the sake of Jesus, your loving Son, hear and grant my prayer. Sweet Heart of Mary, be my salvation.

To Our Lady of the Rosary

O Virgin Mary, grant that the recitation of thy Rosary may be for me each day, in the midst of my manifold duties, a bond of unity in my actions, a tribute of filial piety, a sweet refreshment, an encouragement to walk joyfully along the path of duty. Grant, above all, O Virgin Mary, that the study of thy fifteen mysteries may form in my soul, little by little, a luminous atmosphere, pure, strengthening, and fragrant, which may penetrate my understanding, my will, my heart, my memory, my imagination, my whole being. So shall I acquire the habit of praying while I work, without the aid of formal prayers, by interior acts of admiration and of supplication, or by aspirations of love. I ask this of thee, O Queen of the Holy Rosary, through Saint Dominic, thy son of predilection, the renowned preacher of thy mysteries, and the faithful imitator of thy virtues. Amen.

Blessings,

5 comments:

Jessica Gordon said...

Your Rosary turned out beautiful! Let me know if you would like me to add a link to the post at Catholic Cuisine!

Happy Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary!

Ruth said...

I love it! Kit Kats are my favourite candy ever!!!

Anne (aussieannie) said...

Fantastic Gae, your rosary is beautiful! (and YUMMY!)

Lacy @ Catholic Icing said...

I think this is my favorite edible rosary ever because it doesn't involve cooking! Lol! I also love the idea of making the cross from kit kat bars. They're perfect! Happy Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, and thanks so much for sharing your idea! :-)

noreen said...

Hi Gae,

I came across this post just today and came over to see how you made this yummy looking rosary!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...