Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Our Family Lenten Quest 2011

This year for our Lenten calender I was totally impressed with the visual aspect of the tri fold calender that Tiffany at Family at the Foot of the Cross had developed for her home.

However when discussing it with the children they wanted to go back to the Lenten calender we had made that they really related to the most. This was the one where we had caterpillars journey to the resurrection and then each caterpillar that had been placed on the leaf for the 40 days will be on Easter morning replaced with a beautiful butterfly.

Seriously our children love the whole caterpillar to butterfly theme, we use it a lot for the Easter period.
Our basket of 40 Caterpillars
So we compromised and I made the tri fold calender with our butterfly theme as the countdown. I still wrote the important goals for Lent on the two side parts of the calender as this was what I loved , the very visual reminder of what our goals are for Lent.

We also decided our 'theme' for Lent is "For Love of Jesus," and wrote that written on the bottom of the calender.  So all our interests and aspirations need to be devoted to Jesus because of our love for Him.
We also wanted to see this as 'our quest' rather than a journey. Why,  because a quest seems so much more of a challenge and has the imagery of overcoming obstacles and challenges rather than the term 'journey' that we have used in the past.
So our Quest Calender has cut out paper leaves that the little pipe cleaner caterpillars are blue tacked on to each day as we attempt to grow in virtues as we get closer to Easter. We have a flower on each Sunday as this is a mini Easter period where the strictness of Lent is alleviated by the anticipation of the gift of Sunday.

I am really looking forward to the 'questing' we will be going on this Lenten season. One of the challenges I face already is the fact I need to not stress about having everything written up here (on blog) before it happens.

Instead of the very large post I was planning on our Lenten plans it seems that they will be smaller individual ones, that I will share as we do them. Already I know I am behind with our Madi Gras preparations and our plans for Ash Wednesday. A lesson in humility for me as I would love to share before the actual celebration in the anticipation that what we do, may be of benefit to others as I have so often been blessed by other blogging  friends.

Alas, or perhaps I should say, with thanks ......my Lenten Quest is begun!!
 
Blessings to you and your homes,

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Hi Gae~ I just love, love, how your Lenten Quest turned out. The flowers on Sunday are a lovely idea to incorporate your whole plan. God Bless you and your family on your Lenten Quest.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...