Thursday, September 5, 2013

Homemade Natural Deodoerant

I have been wanting to make a natural deodorant for some time.
For some reason I thought this would be difficult and frankly I wasn't really sure it would work.
I have bought natural deodorants in the past and found them to be less than satisfactory.

In fact it was very easy (I actually made it up quickly on Sunday evening when the children were finishing up dinner cleanup)  to do and really quick to make and I can tell you on these suddenly much warmer days that I and my other 'tester' have found it works at least as good as the bought not so good for you variety.

Obviously this will need to be tested more as the Summer months draw nearer.
I also have another version I am waiting to mix up to compare it with but for now this is what we have made and we are using.

So what do you need and how do you do it?
You probably have all you need in your home right now- coconut oil, bicarb soda, arrowroot/cornflour and some essential oil.
1. First up, place 1/4 coconut oil in a bowl. It needs to be reasonably soft for mixing.
2. Add essential oil to the coconut oil. I think I used about 30 drops of lavender (my choice at this time) and mix together.
3. Add 4 tablespoons of bicarb soda and mix and then 4 tablespoons of arrowroot powder or cornflour. In fact you could add a bit of both, and I did as I ran out of arrowroot and did the last tablespoon in cornflour.
4. Mix together until you have a nice looking mix. In fact it looks a little like icing to go on a cake.
If it seems a little too  thick simple add a little more coconut oil and mix again.
5. Put it into  jar and place in the bathroom ready for use.
All up it took about 10 mins I think to make.
You could even have a his and her jar with a more manly scent for him

To use-
Simply dip clean fingers into jar scoop a little out and rub it in to underarms.
I think you could buy special containers for this but I just used what we had at home.

I will be writing up our results as the warmer weather sets in

Blessings to you and your homes,
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to do one of these before and I had an allergic reaction to it! I couldn't figure out what would have done it as all the ingredients I use in other things. I sure love the idea though! Maybe I should try again.

Gae said...

Dear Amy,
I haven't had a reaction to this but I do have a recipe that is a clay based that you might like.
Blessings
Gae

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...