Monday, March 31, 2014

Celebrating Laetare Sunday this Year ------JOY

"Rejoice, O Jerusalem: and come together all you that love her: rejoice with joy, you that have been in sorrow: that you may exult, and be filled from the breasts of your consolation. (Psalm) I rejoiced at the things that were said to me: we shall go into the house of the Lord. Glory be to the Father."

  Today was Laetare Sunday (Mothering Sunday) and as I thought back on how we have celebrated recently (last year, there is even a similar photo  of Arwen; in 2011, and in 2010 along with Ideas for the day I see a familiar pattern for our days.

I guess this is what it is with tradition isn't it? You do want to repeat those family activities and celebrations so that they become part of the family culture.

Today however we did not make a cake as we have done in the past and decorate with pink and roses, we did not make or buy a fruitcake to have as part of the 'Mothering Sunday' that is such an English tradition.
 What we did do was to offer our prayers after Mass with a lit candle as the children often do these days.
I was really struck at how much Arwen has grown over the year and it is so sweet to see little Trahaearn now adding his own special prayer as well.
 As the theme of today is JOY!!!!
 We celebrated it with an impromptu picnic at one of the parks in town after Mass.
 It wasn't long or complicated but it did add a 'specialness' to the day in being together and having an outing that we can look back on and treasure.
I think that emphasis the JOY we find as we come closer to the end of Lent and the most blessed event of Easter Day.
One of the joys I get during these outings is to take photos of our family of course but to look for little bits of nature that appeal to me.

As it is Autumn season we have been looking for signs of a change in the seasons and one we found today was when I was chatting to the older three (at home today) I had an acorn come fall and hit me on the head. 
 So naturally I said 'hey, lets gather these up and use them for crafts'.

So of course I had a few willing helpers to gather a few and when we could not find what we wanted on the ground we picked them straight off the tree!!
Our five smallest munchkins had a lovely time on the playground and were happy to be out and about just doing their own thing.
 I just adore these big old trees and could take photos all day.
 Similarly I have a lamp post thing too and always say to the children ' Do you think we could go to Narnia from here?'
 "Come on were are going home now! Lets get an ice cream!"
That usually motivates them into the car.
 Once home I wanted to have some roses for our table but they look a little neglected this year.
My fault I have not been in the garden at all for months!!
 I love this pink one.........
 Our family Altar with pink Altar Cloth and a few roses on it as well.
And those acorns went straight on to the seasons table to remind us of the bounty God gives us and the JOY we can find in the everyday.

Blessed Feast Day and many prayers as we continue on with our Lenten Journey.

Blessings to you and your homes,
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...